Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Week 1 - I fell in love with Sydney



I ventured on the train Friday to check out some areas of the city to see where abouts I want to live. I quickly found that saying "excuse me" is not common...lots of people ran into me...the hussel and bussel of city life. Which was upsetting but after talking to Jodie I felt better - she experienced the same anger with that as well...I will adjust as I learn these culture idiosyncrasies.

Also pedestrians do NOT have the right away - when you step into the street...they step on the gas...seriously! I was pissed.
The Bondi Junction area has a lot going on - fun but a little overwhelming for me given how new everything is...I walked to the famous Bondi Beach - it was beautiful (see pics below). There were tons of people and it was windy. I took it in, did some reading and headed out. I walked around the city and ended up at a fun Italian restaurant on Darling Harbor (close to MTV Real World house).















Getting lost is the best way to learn - I have been doing a lot of that. The city is very clean and safe. Lots going on with fashion let me tell you...I will snap some photos to exemplify...it is like 80's colors/accessories meet 60's peace statements with LA glam.....funny stuff.

Saturday: The apartments are only open for 15 minutes and there is a line of people waiting...I struggled to locate a few of them and they were nice but unfurnished. I learned that they have to specify "furnished" if it is...good to know that the Real Estate industry is totally different here...not helpful or knowledgeable.

GET THIS the food service industry is paid good; therefore, we are not expected to tip... which as you can imagine the servers have no incentive to provide service for a tip...NO customer service in this country. This again will take some getting use to. I have a hard time not tipping.

I struggled in the busy streets - I never know which way to look, it can be stressful.

Travelodge was booked Sunday night because Monday was their Labor Day. I had to transfer to another Hotel (Amora) which was awesome - I was missing out. This one was huge, nice room...




View from the window














After getting ALL my stuff in the room (which has been a task in of itself- everyone always looks at me like I am crazy...not traveling light - but after I explain I am moving and this is everything I have... they understand :))I headed over to meet Jodie. I was surprised to find my way...we went to Moore Park to hang out - Kai and Ben were playing tennis and we just relaxed...which was much needed after the apartment hunting outting on Saturday. We walked over to a food and wine festival...the wine here is very flavorful and good! The sun was killer - so HOT...I need to invest in some hats.
We hit up happy hour at a local bar which I am told we will frequent often :) ...i like it.
Oh and the red light by work rumor is true - the blue building in the picture is work and the red light indicates they are open for business...prostitution is legal.


Jodie is opening up my world to all kinds of new foods that I have not tried. I am up for trying things hopefully my tummy will allow it. So it is difficult to get a liquor license so a lot of restaurants are BYO - crazy huh. I got a kick out of bringing our own wine to dinner.









I had to switch hotels yet again! But I woke up early to enjoy some coffee, talk to the folks and watch the Seahawks play (live - it was Monday so Sunday in US). The TV is pretty much the same, possible a little delayed I hear? Their coffee is a lot stronger too but tasty. I also had to take advantage of the bathtub...











This time I am moving to the Best Western which is close to work as well as Kai/Jodie's place. I am submitting an application to take over their place - it is convenient and a good first place until I get my feet wet. I guess it is the Capital Hill of Sydney but even more extreme... the Toolshed on every corner is not a handy place to get hardware. I have yet to experience the full extent of the area but Jodie's enlightening me.



View from Hotel 3 (Hyde Park)










Jumping on the bed is a must...
















Jodie took my to Paddy's (the B&I of AU) - lots of good cheap stuff. Did some shopping - got me a cowgirl hat :) We spent the day at Coogie Beach - the water is super cold! But it was amazing day - tons of people out. We had lunch/dinner right on the beach - lush happening area..and that is when I fell in love with Sydney. It is paradise and they is so much left to learn and do!





















Past few days has been some housekeeping - opening bank accounts, trying to get a cell phone, etc. I was randomly walking around and I met a girl from New York...she is super nice; moved here a year ago with her husband but out in the "bush"....so she doesn't really know the city...we ventured around darling harbor and the city, got some happy hour and we found my new favorite pizza joint!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.