Friday, March 20, 2009

Canyon Campaign Weekend - Blue Mountains


Lizzy and I are going camping!!
We packed everything so we could train it - 2 hours up where one of the SUSS club member would pick us up. This is the club from Sydney Uni that I go caving with.

Check out my pack job - I am super impressed I could get everything on my body and still walk. Everyone made fun of how much crap I had but seriously they dont know camping.

Lizzy also joined in the "u have too much crap" but I carried all the food too...um I didnt need to borrow or ask for anything :) lizzy had a few missing items to say the least (jacket, long johns, water, sleeping mat, etcetc) ;) not a big camper but def up for the adventure

We borrowed a big tent from Rups - it was tricky setting up in the dark, some directions and teamwork we got her done! Interesting crew of peeps but really really good with leading these trips - they brought all the equipment and really let each person take their time...doing the canyon how it is comfortable to them!
we did a canyon on Sat and on Sun - no one really gets up and goes. we went into town each day so it didnt really feel like camping. We didnt have a Car so it was weird trying to sort where we would go - the group doesnt really communicate well...the getting going part is the hardest. annoying drama.
The abseiling was intense - the adrenaline rush is crazy. it is like getting on the rope and starting is nuts - like what the hell was I thinking. The last water fall was 80ft - 30 meters...CRAZY. there was this rock lip - you had to put your knees out then somehow put your feet below on the waterfall face...lizzy went before me and flipped upside down - i freaked out! scary and cold waiting. Nickle went done with her - I was the first that had to go by myself - ahhhh. I ended up doing well - it is weird you just have to sit, push your feet straight and 90 degree angle...trust the equipment. overall pretty safe.
There was some good rock jumps, rock slides, hikes, bouldering, etc..FUN!
Good to be around a fire - lizzy was sick, so we had early nights, took in the stars and had a good healthy weekend.
Nickle - we called 5 cent...has this amazing rig (showed it last year) that has a refrigerator, running hot water, solar panels, tent on the roof, heating blanket...etcetc it is sick. we got a kick out of what he would cook, shower and do - not roughin it by any means.













































































































































































































































































































No comments: