Sunday, March 16, 2008

Blue Mtns Trip 2 - Canyoning

My first canyoning experience:
After my first blue mountain experience I wanted to get back up there for some more outdoor adventures.

I headed up Saturday night because the tour started early Sunday morning. I stayed at my first backpackers hotel or hostel in Katoomba. I pictured this frat like feel with people all loud and hanging out in the halls way...throwing stuff and the lights flicking....the hostel horror flick was on my mind. However it ended up being a decent place - felt like a normal hotel but cheaper.

It happened to be the Jazz and Blue festival - I was stooked! the town was live. I listened in on some good acts, shopped and headed for a quick night hike at the 3 sisters.
Caught up with few people in the morning at the tour, I was introduced thru via other friends.
















After reading my daily dose of celeb gossip - yes I still keep tabs on hollywood, I saw a spread of the many face of Hayden Panettiere...so many poses and looks - not something i am all that good at...without some practice at least. My "faces" dont look like I think... kind of like your voice doesnt sound like you think. anyhow the pics below are my portfolio of faces ;)






Sat is this bar for a chill night - great blues, great harmonics....




The dark pic is me dropping into the canyon of a cliff.


Serious hike out



















Little crabby lobster thing in the water. One of my favorite things - floating!! and this day...on the river in the Aussie mountains...perfect, drowning out everything...





Some rock jumping and lunch on in the canyon.












Turned out dark but that is me abseiling down a waterfall, one of many abseils this day.













After the day - had some beautiful weather and daylight left so I headed out for some more hiking. Finally got the red parrot on film - could always hear them but hard to catch them.


Screaming horse statue thing is a iconic landmark in the town - an art museum.
























I found the Katoomba falls this trip :) a little bigger than the cascades...


The things that look like palm trees are actually fern trees and make the forest feel very rain forest and jurassic park esk. Love them! Each notch is a year of the trees growth.





On my canyon trip I had a eco tour in the back as I lagged from the fast hikers out :)
The walk way below is lined with long grass that kangaroos use to eat to get moisture and nutrients. The other plants are tea trees, very fragrant, used as an antibacterial the most medicinal used plant in the world.










Read and watched the sun set at the 3 sisters. Met a strange local man there - funny at first but disturbingly religious. I actually mucked around and miss my train...didnt get home until almost 2am on Sunday night...monday morning. oops

No comments: