Friday, October 5, 2007

Its only semantics...

As I am learning my way through this new country some words mean different things and some things are just called different words....how poetic of me - it only takes view glasses of wine. Ha.

Ok so...
Arugula (salad leaves) = Rocket
Elevator = Lift
Mail = Post
Green Pepper = Capsicum
Take Out = Take Away
Friend = Mate

In the States, asking for a toilet is not very "lady-like"....but is the norm in Australia. It is not "where is the restroom", rather more simply "where is the toilet"...or possible ask for the louvre.

Also before I left I was told not to say Route (root) as in "what route should I take to the park" or "I root for the Seahawks"....this was to mean sex....well the hotel concierge on the second day said this to me, either he was taking a cheap shot at an American or this doesnt mean what I was told - either way I will not use it in the short team...it would be like wearing a cowboy's hat in a bar :)
I also recall not to say Slurpee - they have them here so I am not sure what was around that piece of advise?

More to come...

No comments: