Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Great Barrier Reef!!!


We got up nice and early to get out to the Great Barrier Reef, it is so amazing to get these kinds of opportunities...i mean the reef is something I've watch on the Discovery Channel or just talked about but never did I imagine one day being here!! I was stoked.

It was 1.5 hour or so tour bus ride out to Port Douglas, it was a beautiful coastal drive with local a guide telling us about the area. We choose to go out on a more intimate trip on a large sail boat. Several of the options included large groups (close to 100) that takes hours to even get out to the reef which takes away from the time in the water.

We went to the Lower Isle - small island seen in pic below. Since it was the rainy season in Northern then Australia it was a bit cloudy and rainy but we choose to enjoy every moment....it was a bummer but still an amazing day. The colors and the clarity of the water were effected by the weather as you can get a feel for in the pictures. I was on sensory over load there was just so much to look at, so many different kinds of fish, clams, reef plants, true beauty. It was a little scary given that only a few months ago it was my first time really being in the Ocean - I mean I've ran in it few time at different beaches but not really swam and here I am in Australia about to spend a day in it.

Emily and I are hot in our lycra suits huh ;) not only is it rainy season but Jelly season too... this is complete protection which provided an extra layer of security. There was not a ton of discussion about where to snorkel but Emily and I went right over the reef and it got really claustrophobic at one point.

After lunch we got back into the water and figured out where we should be at. There was talk of a 5-8 foot reef shark, which is always intimidating....at one point I thought I saw it but choose to go the other way when I started hyperventaling, not good underwater :) nahhh it was all good. We were only in the water just over 2 hours - I wanted more....I was the last one out.

Emily actually saw the shark when I showering after getting out the water - sooo glad not to have seen that in the water! Despite the fact reef sharks dont bit - I was just not ready for that kind of sea life....still adjusting to fish and sea turtles
















Picture of the beach shows how shallow it gets - that is the reef. The other picture below is from under the Hut on the beach, a little charter boat was traveling from the Sail Boat to the beach all day.










































After we got back from the long day at the reef, I got an amazing massage, this women was very in touch with the aboriginal techniques, with the water falls and perret outside I was completely relaxed....pic below is me afterwards with the spa behind.

























I am all about seeing wild life - which in Australia include lizards...or geckos...whatever tomato/tomaato. Emily and I ducked into a bar to get out of the terenchail rains, which did not let up....










We had to buck up and take on the water without an umbrella - we add dinner at our hotel. YUM! another divine meal....everything was closed again by 9pm, so we called in a early night and relaxed in the room.








The last day gave us some sunshine! It was hot and perfect. We got up early and hit the pool. We spend the day in the pool, taking in the beach, having a few cocktails before getting on the plane. I am getting better at flying - I still had to have several "doubles"...a bit of a freak out on the take off - it was pouring rain, the airplane was like taking off in a river...scerd!






















Now this is a lizard - right by the pool. Very cool.







All of our stuff took over the pool that day - no one around, just took in a little pool side Jack Johnson, drink specials and worked on that tan - or should I say burn ;)
Did a walk on the beach looking for shells - My Family will appreciate this as it is one way to reflect for my Nannie. I had a good chat with her.
More wild life below - neon green grasshopper.




















GOOD BYE Cairnes and the perfect holiday!








No comments: